среда, 29 февраля 2012 г.

Tas: Red Cross defends donor policy as blood supplies dwindle


AAP General News (Australia)
08-21-2006
Tas: Red Cross defends donor policy as blood supplies dwindle

HOBART, Aug 21 AAP - The Red Cross Blood Service will defend its donor-screening policies
in the Tasmanian Anti-Discrimination Tribunal today as blood supplies reach dangerously
low levels across the nation.

Tasmanian man Michael Cain claims the service's donor policy discriminates against gay men.

Mr Cain launched the challenge last year after he was told he could not donate blood
because he'd had male-to-male sex in the previous 12 months.

The 23-year-old assembly worker said last month the policy should consider whether
people had safe sex, rather than their sexual preferences.

The move comes just one day after the blood service made an urgent call for donors
as supplies nationally reached dangerously low levels.

Spokeswoman Bonita Mersiades said yesterday the service had only a day and a half of
supplies left.

Ms Mersiades said only three per cent of Australians had given blood in the past 12 months.

"Even if we increased the three per cent to five per cent, and those people all gave
blood three times a year we would be fine," she said.

Tasmanian Gay and Lesbian Rights Group spokesman Rodney Croome said Mr Cain's challenge
could have international implications for gay donors.

Only Italy and Spain allow gay men who have safe sex to donate blood, but donor policies
are currently being questioned in Britain and the United States.

"The Tasmanian tribunal hearings will be watched carefully by governments and health
experts the world over," Mr Croome said.

Today's hearing will set timetables and establish key information to be obtained for
future hearings.

Substantive issues would not be addressed, Mr Croome said.

AAP rgr/it/sd

KEYWORD: BLOOD

) 2006 AAP Information Services Pty Limited (AAP) or its Licensors.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий